- Meeting abstract
- Open Access
Success Factors of Clinical Risk Management - Measuring a Safety Index
© Gausmann and Fleischer 2015
- Published: 30 October 2015
- Healthcare Facility
- Patient Safety
- Prevention Measure
- Risk Analysis
- Safety Index
The political, legal and insurance-related requirements for hospitals, out-patient treatment centers and other healthcare companies in Germany and European countries are constantly increasing. At the same time, however, evidence for the effectiveness and establishment of clinical measures for patient safety is becoming ever more important .
Since 1994, the GRB - Gesellschaft für Risiko-Beratung mbH has been providing advice to hospitals and other healthcare facilities on how to implement risk management measures in clinical processes in order to ensure a safe patient care. For quite a long time, the GRB has dealt with defining suitable parameters for patient safety. In the meantime, it has developed a model-based safety index, which enables a healthcare company to make the maturity level measurable.
Results from one of Germany's largest healthcare-loss databases and specifically developed claim-based prevention measures and performing safety and risk analyses in different specialist/service areas in healthcare companies serve as a basis for determining a safety index .
The development of the index aimed at measuring patient safety is based on the modified Swiss cheese model by Reason .
The following parameters are relevant for the calculation of the index:
1. Index-related prevention measures
2. Weighting of the potential risk in case that a prevention measure has not been fulfilled (severity of potential damage and probability of occurrence)
3. Fulfillment level of a prevention measure
Overview: safety index after safety and risk analysis in surgery rooms including the interface anesthesia in three different clinics (Source riskala®GRB).
Medical specialist standard
Avoidance of patient misidentification
Organization recovery room
Organization surgery room
Safety index total
The index is an efficient instrument with which the safety profile of a healthcare company can be made transparent both internally and externally in accordance with the continuous process of improvement, and it can be used effectively for business management.
- Gausmann P: Safety Clip. New national health target patient safety. BDC Member Magazine Passion Chirurgie. 2014, SpecialGoogle Scholar
- Fleischer M: Safety Clip. riskala.INDEX: Patient safety index. BDC Member Magazine Passion Chirurgie. 2013Google Scholar
- Reason J: Human error: models and management. British Medical Journal. 2000, 320 (7237): 768-770.PubMedPubMed CentralView ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. The Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication waiver (http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/) applies to the data made available in this article, unless otherwise stated.